Disney's "Zootopia" remained atop the weekend box office, followed by Lionsgate's "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" over the weekend (Photo by Walt Disney Animation Studios).
LOS ANGELES - Disney's animated "Zootopia" came out on top of the weekend box office for the third straight week with $38.04 million, for a three-week total of $201.81 million. It was the third highest domestic total for a film from Walt Disney Animation Studios.
In second place and well below expectations was Lionsgate's "The Divergent Series: Allegiant," starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James. The latest sequel or third of four films in the futuristic franchise, opened with an estimated $29.05 million which was well below the $52 million opening weekend its predecessor "Insurgent," a year ago.
In third place was the debut of TriStar's faith-based drama, "Miracles from Heaven," with Jennifer Garner and Martin Henderson ("The Ring"), which racked up $15-million. It was followed in fourth place by the horror thriller, "10 Cloverfield Lane," with $12.05 million which dropped 50 percent from last weekend, for a two-week total of $45.18 million. Fifth place went to Fox's "Deadpool" which earned a solid $8 million for a six-week total of $340.91 million.
The rest of the top 10 stacked up this way:
6. "London Has Fallen" (Focus Pictures) $6.89 million for a three-week total of $50.09 million
7. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" (Paramount) $2.80 million for three-week total of $19.27 million
8. "The Perfect Match" (Lionsgate) $1.90 million for a two-week total of $7.31 million
9. "The Brothers Grimsby" (Sony) $1.40 million for a two-week total of $5.91 million
10. "The Revenant" (Fox) $1.22 million for a 13-week total fo $181.16 million