'Straight Outta Compton' Tops Weekend Box Office for 3rd Straight Week
From left, Neil Brown Jr., Aldis Hodge, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell and O'Shea Jackson Jr. star in "Straight Outta Compton" (Photo by Universal Pictures).
LOS ANGELES - Universal's "Straight Outta Compton" was tops in the weekend box office for the third straight week with $13.24 million, thanks to weak competition and its own strong momentum.
The religious drama "War Room" was the weekend's biggest theater earner, taking in almost $10,000 per screen and with its limited release, sales totaled just $11 million for second place. But that wasn't enough to overcome "Compton" which dropped by 50percent from last weekend, for a $134.13 million total. "No Escape," starring Zac Effron, opened to little attention from theater-goers despite its 2,300-plus theaters showing the film, earning just $8 million for fourth place.
Paramount's "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" was third as it continued to do well with $8.30 million for a four-week total of $170.39 million.
The rest stacked up this way:
5. "Sinister 2" (Focus) $4.65 million for a two-week total of $18.51 million
6. The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (Warner Bros.) $4.41 million for a three-week total of $34.12
7. "Hitman: Agent 47" (Fox) $3.85 million for a three-week total of $15.27 million
8. "The Gift" (STX) $3.13 million for a four-week total of $35.96 million
9. "Jurassic World" (Universal) $3.12 million for a 12-week total of $643.09 million
10. "Ant-Man" (Warner Bros.) $3.05 million for a seven-week total of $169.19 million
9. "Minions" (Universal) $3.71 million for a seven-week total of $319.96 million
10. "Fantastic Four" (Fox) $3.65 million for a three-week total of $49.62 million