Religious Drama 'War Room' Tops the Weekend Box Office
Priscilla C. Shirer, left, and Karen Abercrombie in a scene from "War Room" (Photo by Sony).
LOS ANGELES - The religious drama "War Room" beat out "Straight Outta Compton" in its bid for a fourth straight week atop the weekend box office with a strong $9.45 million.
"Compton" was in second place, just behind "War Room" with $8.85 million for a four-week total of $147.78 million. "War Room," has a two-week total of $24.76 million. The religious drama from Sony/TriStar has more than made up its $3 million cost and has Hollywood rethinking its notion of faith-based films.
Meanwhile, the biggest loser over the past weekend was "The Transporter: Reloaded," which debuted in fourth place with a lackluster $7.22 million, getting beat out for third place by "A Walk in the Woods," a film starring a couple of old guys, Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. "Woods" took in $8.25 million over the weekend for a total of $10.31 million since it opened last Wednesday. "The Transporter: Reloaded," was rebooting the franchise with Ed Skrein taking over for Jason Statham in the lead role, but it apparently didn't go over with fans which stayed away in droves.
The Spanish-language children's cartoon "Un Gallo con Muchos Huevos" aimed at Latino audiences premiered at a healthy $3.42 million for ninth place.
The rest stacked up this way:
5. "Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation" (Paramount) $7.18 million for a six-week total of $180.42 million
6. "No Escape" (Weinstein Co.) $5.45 million for a two-week total of $18.45 million
7. The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (Warner Bros.) $5.45 million for a four-week total of $39.37 million
8. "Sinister 2" (Focus) $3.43 million for a three-week total of $23.77 million
9. "Un Gallo con Muchos Huevos" (Pantelion) $3.42 million on opening weekend
10. "Inside Out" (Disney) $3.23 million for a 12-week total of $348.30 million