Sony's 'The Perfect Guy' Tops the Slow Weekend Box Office
Michael Ealy, left, Sanaa Latham and Morris Chestnut star in Sony's "The Perfect Guy," which topped the weekend box office (Photo by Sony Pictures Entertainment).
LOS ANGELES - Sony's romantic thriller "The Perfect Guy," topped the weekend box office with an opening weekend of $25.89 million, just slightly ahead of Universal's "The Visit," from M. Night Shyamalan which also was making its debut with $25.43 million.
"The Perfect Guy" which stars Michael Ely, Sanaa Latham and Morris Chestnut, pushed out fellow Sony film "War Room" which held the top spot last week. The religious-themed
"War Room" finished a distant third place with $7.77 million for a three-week total of $39.56 million.
Shyamalan, who comes off a string of flops, that include 2013's "After Earth," which earned $61 million on a $130 million budget, 2010's "The Last Airbender" which made $132 million on a $150 million budget; and 2008's "The Happening," which finished with $65 million on a $48 million budget.
Broadgreen's "A Walk in the Woods," starring screen veterans Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, was fourth with $4.74 million for a two-week total of $20 million.
The rest stacked up this way:
5. "Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation" (Paramount) $4.10 million for a seven-week total of $188.12 million
6. "Straight Outta Compton" (Universal) $3.92 million for a five-week total of $155.55 million
7. "No Escape" (Weinstein Co.) $2.88 million for a three-week total of $24.16 million
8. "The Transporter Refueled" (Europa Corp.) $2.82 million for a two-week total of $13.47 million
9. "90 Minutes in Heaven" (Samuel Goldwyn) $2.03 million on its opening weekend
10. "Un Gallo con Muchos Huevos" (Pantelion) $2.02 million for two-week total of $6.79 million