'Goosebumps' Beats Out 'Crimson Peak' for Weekend Box Office Crown
Jack Black, left, stars with Odeya Rush and Dylan Minette in Sony's big screen adaptation of TV's "Goosebumps" (Photo by Sony Pictures Entertainment).
LOS ANGELES - Sony's gamble on the PG-rated movie adaptation of TV's kid-friendly horror-themed "Goosebumps" has paid off after going head to head with the R-rated Universal/Legendary haunted house tale, "Crimson Peak," and topping the weekend box office with a $23.61 million opening.
"Goosebumps" appeared to tap into adults' feel for their childhood favorite as well as the younger crowd who still watch the TV series. Guillermo Del Toro's ambitious ode to 1940s haunted house movies seemed to fall flat with core audiences as the $55 million film was able to draw just $13.14 million and fourth place on its opening weekend.
Fox's "The Martian" remained strong but dropped by 43 percent as it fell to second place this weekend with $21.30 million for a three-week total of $143.59 million. Third place went to Disney's cold war saga, "Bridge of Spies" starring Tom Hanks, with $15.37 million.
The rest stacked up this way:
5. "Hotel Transylvania 2" (Sony) $12.64 million for a four-week total of $136.80 million
6. "Pan" (Warner Bros.) $5.86 million for a two-week total of $25.74 million
7. "The Intern" (Warner Bros.) $5.45 million for a four-week total of $58.77 million
8. "Sicario" (Lionsgate) $4.56 million for a five-week total of $34.72 million
9. "Woodlawn (Pure Flix Cinema) $4.0 million on its opening weekend
10. "Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials," (Fox) $2.86 million for a three week total of $75.52 million