George Lucas to Attend 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Premiere
LOS ANGELES - Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has told The Hollywood Reporter that George Lucas, who in 2012 sold his company to Disney was not involved in the new Star Wars film, will attend the premieres in Los Angeles and London this month.
Lucas has seen the film, Kennedy told the publication, saying that he was pleased with the film. In recent interviews, Lucas has expressed his ambivalence about the direction of the new "Star Wars" films. In an interview with CBS last month, he said he submitted story ideas for the new films but was turned down. He has since distanced himself from the new films.
Kennedy saidit's been difficult for Lucas, who was intimately involved in the first six Star Wars films but had removed himself from the new film's production after his storylines were rejected.
In an interview last month with the Washington Post, Lucas explained his position: “There is no such thing as working over someone’s shoulder,” he said. “You’re either the dictator or you’re not. And to do that would never work, so I said ‘I’m going to get divorced.’ . . . I knew that I couldn’t be involved. All I’d do is make them miserable. I’d make myself miserable. It would probably ruin a vision."
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens," was directed by J.J. Abrams from a script he wrote in partnership with Lawrence Kasdan. It features original franchise stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher along with John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. It opens Dec. 18.