'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Leads the Weekend Box Office
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" smashed the opposition on its opening weekend for Disney (Photo by Lucasfilm).
LOS ANGELES - To no one's surprise, Disney's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" led the weekend box office with a crushing $247.97 million on its opening weekend, blasting the opposition with more than $200 million more than the second place film.
The earth-shattering figure comes as iconic film franchise is experiencing a huge resurgence among fans who have been awaiting the franchise's return with J.J. Abrams taking over as director and its main visionary. George Lucas, who sold the rights to his iconic science fiction franchise along with his Lucasfilm studio to Disney in 2012, was not involved in the production of a "Star Wars" film for the first time.
Coming in second, was 20th Century Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks; The Road Chip" which opened with $14.29 million amid littel fanfare. In third place was the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler comedy for Universal "Sisters" which opened with $13.92 million.
"The Hunger Games Mockingjay - Part 2" was fourth with $5.89 million for a five-week total of $254.48 million. "Creed" from Warner Bros. dropped by one notch last week by coming in fifth place with $5.01 million for four-week total of $87.83 million.
The rest of the top 10 stacked up this way:
6. "The Good Dinosaur" (Disney) $4.35 million for a four-week total of $96.66 million
7. "Krampus" (Universal) $4.11 for a three-week total of $35.14 million
8. "In the Hear of the Sea" (Warner Bros.) $3.48 for a two-week total of $18.62 million
9. "Dilwale" (UTV Ent.) $1.92 million on its openting weekend for the Bollywood release
10. "Bajirao Mastani" (Eros Int.) $1.74 million on its opening weekend for the Bollywood release