'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Crushes the Weekend Box Office
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" continued to dominated the weekend box office (Photo by Lucasfilms).
LOS ANGELES - Disney's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" comes within $20 million of the all-time domestic box office record in just 17 days, as it remained at number one for a third straight weekend with an estimated $90.24 million. It has reached a three-week total of $742.21 million in only 17 days.
Current all-time box office champ Avatar will soon be surpassed, according to all estimates.
The Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg comedy "Daddy's Home" remained strong in second place for a second straight weekend despite dropping by 25 percent to $29.20 million, bringing its total up to $93..89 million. In third was Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" from the Weinstein Company, earning $15.71 million as it moved from its opening 100 screens to a total of 2,474 screens, totaling $29.04 million over two weeks.
Fourth place went to Universal's Tina Fey/Amy Poehler comedy "Sisters" which earned $12.76 million for a three-week total of $62.88 million. It was followed in fifth place by Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip," with $12.07 million for three-week total of $67.65 million.
The rest of the top 10 stacked up this way:
6. "Joy" (Fox) $10.21 million for a three-week total of $38.52 million.
7. "The Big Short" (Paramount) $9.06 million for a four-week total of $33.05 million
8. "Concussion" (Sony) $7.84 million for a two-week total of $25.27 million
9. "Point Break" (Warner Bros.) $6.81 million for a two-week total of $22.40 million
10. "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2" (Lionsgate) $4.62 million for a seven-week total of $274.18 million.